I decided to name the betta Rincewind (thank you landofwaterandaquaria! ) and he has settled in really well. One of my orange bee shrimp molted as well. Rincewind is adapting really well and can even rest near the bottom with limited effort. If he gets too excited he still acts a bit wobbly but I’m amazed at how well he has recovered despite the odds. I really want to beef up the plants in this tank as right now it was just the leftovers of the ten gal. (gotta move that sword out of there) but I’m thinking a ton of moss will be fun. Anubias, java fern, and moss; the ultimate in low tech!
Well it took me forever but I got the ten gal torn down, sterilized and fitted for the fry to grow out in. They’re only used to being in six inches of water so I don’t have it filled completely, I’ll raise the water over the next few days and then run the sponge filter. I’m going to add a few handfuls of duckweed too so they can graze between feedings.
The disabled doubletail’s new home which looks a bit sporadic because I just set it up. It’s almost hard to believe that this guy is the same betta I rescued a while back with the severe swim bladder problems. He went from being pinned to the surface on his side to almost normal fish. I started by raising the water just a tad every water change (every two days) because he was in a fairly small tank due to his issues. Being in shallower water really helped him gain some strength and he can now control his place in the water column with only minimal issues. I moved him into this small bowfront that I have lost the lid to (so I used a different lid that looks gross but will work). So I’m going to set the tank up with a desk lamp and that combine with the natural light should be enough. This tank is the deepest one he’s been in yet so we’ll see how he adjusts. So far he seems to be able to get to the bottom and move around fairly easily, and he loves all the anubias that he can tangle himself up in to rest. He has a few housemates, two orange bee shrimp and two small nerite snails, whom he ignores completely. I don’t normally put my betta in anything smaller than 5 gallons but this guy is a special case. I’ll probably add some more plants later as funds permit it. He still doesn’t have a name, so if anyone has any suggestions?
My lemonhead oranda Hoshi. He is actually the only oranda I have currently but he sure is pretty. When I purchased him he was fairly small didn’t have much of a wen. With a full summer in the pond he has grown in leaps and bounds and his wen just keeps getting larger. Hoshi is also very friendly and not camera shy in the least.
Fry at 3 weeks! Again this is just a bowl I use to house them in while I clean their tub thoroughly between waterchanges. I only have 1 fry with an obvious defect left and he managed to avoid the first major cull round so I’m letting him live and seeing how he develops I can always cull later if his quality of life degrades.Everyone else is developing perfectly, look at all those little tails!
Took some pictures of the goldies in the pond today. This is a butterfly telescope named Kimi. She’s a sweetheart but a bit shy! She spends most of her time with my other telescope ‘Ol One Eye.
Very bad quality pictures, but here is the heater I’m using to keep the pond warm enough for the fancies. It’s a JBJ True Temp Titanium Heater w/Digital Controller & Remote Probe; 1000 watt model. It is a titanium heater which is much safer than a glass heater would be and has a casing over the heater to keep the fish extra safe. It is also accurate to +/-5° F once calibrated (which is very easy to do) and this ensures you aren’t boiling your fish because the heater thinks it’s the wrong temperature. And prevents the heater just turning on and off constantly which will cause temperature fluctuations. It has a probe with a decent sized cord that I moved as far away as possible from the heater to get the most accurate reading. I also placed it further down in the pond because then it is using that area as the temperature gauge. Too close to the surface and it’s going to keep the bottom of the pond too warm. When I put it in the water was a bit below 50°, but within a few days it is a solid 70°. This will ensure that my fancies have a worry free winter, along with the pond’s insulated sides and soon to be gabled greenhouse roof(to further trap in warmth). Another neat feature is that instead of suction cups it uses very strong magnets to hold the heater in place. So far it is designed very well and works fantastically. I’m going to hold off until the spring to give it a full on review but if you need to heat 300 gallons of water very precisely than this a great choice.
Batch two is 16 days old! I believe I have 30 now, I started off with 35, lost one the first few days, culled three and then lost one more a few days back. I may have to cull more but I’m going to grow them a bit more before checking for any more defects. I know I have a guy with a slightly bent spine towards the caudal but he escaped the 1st cull round so I’m letting him live and seeing how it goes. The bowl they are in was just for while I was cleaning their tub out, it’s pretty and has a lovely traditional feel to it. I have to give the tub a good scrub down every few days between waterchanges because it gets scummy even with 100% twice daily changes. These guys are pearlscale fry spawned on 10/27/13.
Poor quality but the 55 gal in all it’s algaey glory! They graze on the algae on the back wall so I only wipe down the front glass. I need to add more crypts but adding plants is a slow process to make it easier on my wallet. My amazon sword keeps making babies but I don’t want them so of anyone does let me know!! If you pay postage is be happy to send them your way.